The guy from the Beach Boys said the only part of music that hasn’t gotten easier with technology is writing lyrics. These are the lyrics to the latest Haylayer album. I try,
1. I knew I loved you when you left me, separated from my darling. I cursed the clouds before I went in. I may be bent but not broken. Ghost signs and church-like clock chimes sound off endlessly. I cast a long line out into an angry sea. I liked the idea that you liked me, but I guess it’s not right and quite likely that i’m falling on deaf ears, maybe i’m growing old in my years. I knew I loved you when I saw you, and maybe my words will bore you, but I’m happy when you are on, and it’s real sad to see you gone.
2. You’re looking up to Billy the Kid. I’m afraid. What I want is yours and mine. When we’re made. Tell me, am I being boring? Have you heard this same old story? Had a dream about Charlie Chaplin. I don’t know; we’ll see what happens. You’ve got it in for me; you’ve got it in for me. And I’m going down for you; and I’m going down for you. Flings, come and go. I’ll unravel slow. I told some lies about my book. I guess I couldn’t explain it good.
3. I don’t care whether you want to listen: one step off, one step off. All the world’s a cage; now how did that happen? “Bad heart, bad heart, soothe your cravings.” Every three days, I have to check my savings. I got big news, and you’re not going to believe it. First, you have to promise you can keep a secret. The sun goes up, and the sun goes down again. Now I’m the only one awake on this side of town again. Nowadays, I see how our words are cages, and it doesn’t help to look at time in stages.
4. The joke’s on you. You got a fever in your heart. Don’t forgive me. Don’t forget me. I don’t like to come in second. Raimond said that nothing’s perfect, so that’s one thing we know for certain. You got a ghost on you. The feeling in your throat that you can’t breakthrough.
5. I keep getting handed all these paper invitations when I know I won’t go. See a dog in the road with a bone that she stole, and she wonders about the world. You get a crazy feeling when you’re staring at the ceiling, and you practice getting old. I keep kicking up all these surface conversations when I know I want more. I want to be realer to you, and I want you to seem realer to me. but I fuck up. I drink those dark drinks, and I fuck up and my heart sinks.
6. You want to put on lipstick. You want to paint your nails and, though I try to lean in, you’re not available. It seems the tides are changing. Your figure appears. I want to be your only. I want you here. All in another Friday, the hours pile on. We lean against each other, and then we’re going home. I don’t need a dream journal. I don’t need your words. I don’t need to seem normal, at odds with what is yours. I’ve witches who can brew for me, with the potions and emotions that set my spirit free.
7. My whole soul falls apart. I’m waking up in my death shirt. Drive to work, try not to stop. I’m waking up in my death shirt, and I soon begin to wilt. Mountains of trees turned to silt: a river of your own milk. You get killed by what you do. I am destroyed by what I love. I can’t survive on life alone. I need deliverance from above. As we trample cross this thing, I get killed by what I think. A choir of voices sings and fills my head with empty things. I woke up face down on the beach, looked up but in the sun I couldn’t see. A man in the waves, a skull and a cape, a knife and a message that I wasn’t safe. “Welcome to the Island of Doom. My name is Hemlock, I’ll bury your God.” Welcome to the end of your life. It’s a little bit different, and not quite as nice.
8. Under the moon, we kissed and we held. You wanted the world; you wanted yourself. Play with your face, you devilish dog. From a young age, we believed in a god. Under the moonlight, my love, hold me closer. Oh, but whenever I offer an offer, you turn away, and then I don’t call you. Whiskey on ice is enough of a partner. Admirers from left to right. You’re playing on stage most every night. You’re burning bright. The lights are the lights, and you’re feeling fine- you look nice. “I want to be with you,” I wanted to tell you. The water in Venice is more green than they tell you. Hold on, I hear a dog outside barking. You said your friend was missing her puppy. A strong heart never sleeps. A strong mind does not need to dream. These are the lies that we keep inside. Let’s do that some other time.
9. There are ghost on margins that was our motto. I carried you home to slice an avocado. These are the best days of our lives. These are the days that will last forever. These are the days that never die. My favorite part in pulling back the bow is to hear the string snap as I let go. “Death waits,” she says, “but why wait for him?” My heart goes out when the lamps grow dim. I can hear that sorrow train and the grinding of its gears; you know it makes me recall more than I have in years. “Won’t you come over for my one am cooking. I swear I wouldn’t ask, but you’re so damn good looking.”
10. When I’m thirsty, I will drink not water, wine, or coffee. When I’m thirsty, I will drink straight from the maker’s. I’ll eat when I’m hungry. I’ll drink when I dry. God bless pretty women, I wish they was mine. At breakfast, sweet as honey pie. Their wishes are worth all of mine. Moonshiner, will you help me sing? Moonshiner, will you help me sleep?
Everyday life is getting me down, waking me up, and making me frown. Everyday life is wearing me thin, grinding my bones, and under my skin. Everyday life boils my blood.I’m waiting and pining and waiting for love.
Every morning I forget my dreams. I haven’t sailed from the harbor in centuries. I want to be lost on a foreign sea. I want time to forget about me.
Angry men chase batty boys with machetes. Dead elephants for no reason on the Serengeti. The public is spat on in my country.
Everyday life, the way that it goes, waking me up, breaking my bones. Everyday life, the way the world spins, screaming real loud, and scratching my skin. Everyday life boils my blood. I’m waiting and pining and waiting for love. I’m waiting and pining and waiting for love.
You sit at work alone, and you slave and you slave, but life is giving you chances. You can take the time. You can take the train. I was halfway gone, and now I’m going to stay.
Sitting at the terminal, thinking about my girl and all the things we used to do. Yeah, that was really cool. Just me and my girl, just me and my world.Me and this chick, just me and this thing that I liked.
I’ve had good. I’ve had great. I’ve had perfect. Sometimes it’s not even worth it when I look back and check on the person that I have become.
Sitting at the terminal waiting for the rain to break the heat. I’ve got a thermos full of scotch and soda sitting at my feet.
New York’s a little wider, but it stays the same. I’m still looking at vicks on the subway train. New York’s a little wider, but it stays the same. I’m still looking at vicks on the subway train.
When I go to DR, yo, I’m riding a boat. When I’m in PR, son, I’m having a smoke, but in the Bronx I’m broke. When you’re young, the enemy’s invisible, communities divisible. They say these people need more: four years turn into three scores, and they pray to the Lord, and they tend to their chores.
In the upper east side, they’re waking up with rollers,and they’re pushing strollers. Yes, the black always holding the white. The tension remains so tight. Why we go to the left, and then they go to the right? Why we gotta fight? I’m on the Cross Bronx eating a slice, real tight.
Yo, I’m breaking the law with a joint in my palm. Things stayed casual for a week or two. You were a little confused. I was thinking of you. You were thinking of me too.
Yes, LS in the light Lex, like an exodus. Yes, we’re coming for you. We’re coming for your sex. We’re coming in the white Lex.
Be My Everything
Read my angle, be my everything. I think we think the same way. You’ve got an ear for classics in song. You detected my rip-off early on.
I’m always walking on lonely roads, and playing all my lonely chords. I want a pair of welcome arms. I want a pair of welcoming arms. I’m starstruck. I’m disrupted in the middle of the night. And I cant fall back asleep, and I never know why.
Read my angle, be my everything. I think we think the same way. Read my angle, be my everything. Can’t you help me fall asleep? I want a pair of welcome arms. I want a pair of welcoming arms.
Spirit of the Woods
Here I am: shot with my palms on the ground, arrow pointing from my back. How will I ever get on the right track laying half dead as I am on the ground?
Spirit of the woods, hear my appeal. Let’s make a deal. Leave my soul alone. I don’t want to know where my body is going to go. Leave me alone.
In the Morning
I’ve had good. I’ve had great. I’ve had perfect. Sometimes you know it just ain’t worth it. I once left the best for the better, but she kept switching percentage to leather. JC left his sex for the tenor. Miles said yo it just got better. And the music’s immense. I’m getting the sense that too many of you dudes are just level one saiyan. I’m dragonball, legendary super saiyan. I’m saying, I’m telling.
In the morning. Thirty years in the past, Sophisticated Beauty in an hour glass. Hallow Inn through an hour glass. Infinite Lush through the hour glass. Passion Surrenders through an hour glass. In the morning.
Gonna Take a Long Time
[A ghost: Our home is in shambles. All I treasured is gone. The town seems deserted. Everyone has gone.]
Hooks come to embrace you. Take it from above. If I want you, I will lose, but I can’t help myself.
Ice cold starry nights.
It’s gonna take a long long, long long time yeah. It’s gonna take a long long, long long time yeah. It’s gonna take a long, long long time yeah. It’s gonna take a long, long long time yeah.
I’m gonna take you along.
I know I can’t move you, but I saw you crumble at his touch. Just take your light off. Take off your light. I can’t fight. I’m drawn to you like a moth to a torch, and I don’t want to fall.
I want more. I want more. I want more. I want more. I want more. I want more.
Try the best I can, show you something. Fly into the sun, no, I cant do it. I’ll follow you until I get burned. I want to be warm. I want to be warm. I want to be warm. I want to have more. We swarm to where it’s warm.We swarm to where it’s warm.
They say I rub against the grain. The way you’re acting is driving me insane. I don’t want to work. I don’t to pay this money for my meals. I don’t want to cheat. I don’t want to steal. Walking out the door every morning, hop in the train, it’s driving me insane. I buy my food. I buy milk and sing. I put it in the black jacket. I put it in the black jacket. I put it in the black jacket. I put it in the black jacket. I didn’t ask for this. I put it in the black jacket. I didn’t ask for this, my punishment. I put it in the black jacket.
Fuck rebels. Burn paper. Black leather boots on Zoe. Fuck money. Ghosts will devour high ranking kings and senators.
My fever, unbridled, moves like a cat in the wild, or in the rain, it’s all the same. The instrument does what is asked of it.
All along, don’t play the fool, I never will. I never will.When I rot out to my core, under my skin I have some bones. I have some bones. I have some bones. Under my skin, I have some bones. I have some bones. I have some bones. Under my skin, oh under my skin.
If you want to undo love, you’ve got to pull out all its legs. The heart hides in a deep cave. If you want to undo love, there are things to understand: You are not yet a man, and you are not a woman. You are not yet a woman, and you are not a man.
Yo, you’re driving me bananas. I can’t stand you. Leopard beach was all health inspired. Yes, you can bring your Ma, and you can bring your Pa. We’ll chill at the spa. Just make the call, come meet me a the pool hall.
Yes, it’s the very best of the best of the best of the best.Yo, what’s going on? Yo, what’s up with Yo Yo Ma? Yo yo yo yo your Ma, yo she’s crazy. Yes, I’ve never seen her.
Nice to meet you. You’re kind of cute. Oh, you’re cute as well. Yo, you’re driving me bananas. I can’t stand you. So I pick up the chest piece, yes, it’s my mate. Yes, let me take you to a different state. I’m going to relate this to a different clue.
Yo, what’s good with you? Yes, what’s good with me? Lots of things. You’re driving me bananas. I can’t stand you. Leopard beach was hotel inspired.
Yes, you can bring your Ma, and you can bring your Pa. It’s not necessary, but it’s extraordinary. We’ll chill on the beach, and yes and arrive on jet skis. Just me and you. What’s good with you? The sidewalks were just drifting.
We could the smell a Spanish kitchen. At the corner, you started singing. Always easy to get along, you started singing an old song. Singing an old song I hadn’t heard in so long. Singing an old song I hadn’t heard in so long.
Romance will rust. Eyes lose their glow. Time after time, and blow after blow. To cross cross the ocean you row and you row, and there’s one song I hum as I go. It makes it easy to get along. I start singing an old song. Singing this old song I’ve known for so long. Singing this old song I’ve known for so long.
A Message from the Nightwatch
Listen: I spend nights in the back of the bar with my headphones on sipping PBR until the crowds are gone.
Yes, the San HD 280 pro. I never call a lady a ho. What’s your name? I’m a killer. I’m Michael Jackson; I’m a thriller.
Yes, I’m kind of funny. Yes, I’m kind of like Bugs Bunny. Yo, you crummy. Yo, you sound like a dummy. Yo, I don’t give a fuck, Donald duck. Yo, I’m fucking goofy. Pass me that loosey.
Turn your headphones up. Don’t be polite, because you know that’s fucked up. Yes, you’re out of luck. In college, I was inside of a beer funnel graduate to the inside of a subway tunnel.
Just blew your mind like a bubble. Stevie Ray Vaughn with Double Trouble, flip the page on the double, and I never stop, never seen a prince, but my rhymes are hot.
Castle Hill’s like a Camelot: shots shots shots. I’m reading Gary Thomas, what you got? I fuck with women who are intelligent. You fools are swimming in your excrement. That’s my two cents, three cents, four cents. A quarter pounder with cheese, share it with Gary Stickles
After all and in the end, I spend my nights in the back of the bars with my headphones on sipping PBR until the crowds are gone. I spend my nights in the back of the bars with my headphones on sipping PBR until the crowds are gone.
Say What Again
You savage. You eel. You’re sappy. You pout. You managed to steal what I’m happy without. You ravage. You crook. You lame musicaster. I don’t blame you for booking my disaster.
If you were green, then I was blue. Never got to see that painted tattoo. No, you don’t see the world like I do. You don’t see the world like do.
You’re just playing the game. We’re just playing a game.
And once you know the rules, you’re dressing sharp, and you’re talking cool. You got big hair, and you’re moving direct, chewing out a new cosmic concept. Is the song too bassy? Is the song too spacey? Are we going crazy? Are we getting lazy?
And you’ve got the records to prove it. And you’ve got your woman to prove it. And you and your megaphone prove it. And you’ve got your guitar to prove it.
If you were green, then I was blue. Never got to see that painted tattoo. No, you don’t see the world like I do. You don’t see the world like do.