This track samples:
Satie, “2 Gymnopedies 1. Lent et Douloureux”
Medeski, Martin, and Wood, “Free Go Lily”
Janelle Monae, “Good Morning Midnight (Interlude)”
It also includes original guitar.
I knew I loved you when you left me, separated from my darling. I cursed the clouds before I went in. I may be bent but not broken. Ghost signs and church-like clock chimes sound off endlessly. I cast a long line out into an angry sea. I liked the idea that you liked me, but I guess it’s not right and quite likely that i’m falling on deaf ears, maybe i’m growing old in my years. I knew I loved you when I saw you, and maybe my words will bore you, but I’m happy when you are on, and it’s real sad to see you gone.
The guy from the Beach Boys said the only part of music that hasn’t gotten easier with technology is writing lyrics. These are the lyrics to the latest Haylayer album. I try,
1. I knew I loved you when you left me, separated from my darling. I cursed the clouds before I went in. I may be bent but not broken. Ghost signs and church-like clock chimes sound off endlessly. I cast a long line out into an angry sea. I liked the idea that you liked me, but I guess it’s not right and quite likely that i’m falling on deaf ears, maybe i’m growing old in my years. I knew I loved you when I saw you, and maybe my words will bore you, but I’m happy when you are on, and it’s real sad to see you gone.
2. You’re looking up to Billy the Kid. I’m afraid. What I want is yours and mine. When we’re made. Tell me, am I being boring? Have you heard this same old story? Had a dream about Charlie Chaplin. I don’t know; we’ll see what happens. You’ve got it in for me; you’ve got it in for me. And I’m going down for you; and I’m going down for you. Flings, come and go. I’ll unravel slow. I told some lies about my book. I guess I couldn’t explain it good.
3. I don’t care whether you want to listen: one step off, one step off. All the world’s a cage; now how did that happen? “Bad heart, bad heart, soothe your cravings.” Every three days, I have to check my savings. I got big news, and you’re not going to believe it. First, you have to promise you can keep a secret. The sun goes up, and the sun goes down again. Now I’m the only one awake on this side of town again. Nowadays, I see how our words are cages, and it doesn’t help to look at time in stages.
4. The joke’s on you. You got a fever in your heart. Don’t forgive me. Don’t forget me. I don’t like to come in second. Raimond said that nothing’s perfect, so that’s one thing we know for certain. You got a ghost on you. The feeling in your throat that you can’t breakthrough.
5. I keep getting handed all these paper invitations when I know I won’t go. See a dog in the road with a bone that she stole, and she wonders about the world. You get a crazy feeling when you’re staring at the ceiling, and you practice getting old. I keep kicking up all these surface conversations when I know I want more. I want to be realer to you, and I want you to seem realer to me. but I fuck up. I drink those dark drinks, and I fuck up and my heart sinks.
6. You want to put on lipstick. You want to paint your nails and, though I try to lean in, you’re not available. It seems the tides are changing. Your figure appears. I want to be your only. I want you here. All in another Friday, the hours pile on. We lean against each other, and then we’re going home. I don’t need a dream journal. I don’t need your words. I don’t need to seem normal, at odds with what is yours. I’ve witches who can brew for me, with the potions and emotions that set my spirit free.
7. My whole soul falls apart. I’m waking up in my death shirt. Drive to work, try not to stop. I’m waking up in my death shirt, and I soon begin to wilt. Mountains of trees turned to silt: a river of your own milk. You get killed by what you do. I am destroyed by what I love. I can’t survive on life alone. I need deliverance from above. As we trample cross this thing, I get killed by what I think. A choir of voices sings and fills my head with empty things. I woke up face down on the beach, looked up but in the sun I couldn’t see. A man in the waves, a skull and a cape, a knife and a message that I wasn’t safe. “Welcome to the Island of Doom. My name is Hemlock, I’ll bury your God.” Welcome to the end of your life. It’s a little bit different, and not quite as nice.
8. Under the moon, we kissed and we held. You wanted the world; you wanted yourself. Play with your face, you devilish dog. From a young age, we believed in a god. Under the moonlight, my love, hold me closer. Oh, but whenever I offer an offer, you turn away, and then I don’t call you. Whiskey on ice is enough of a partner. Admirers from left to right. You’re playing on stage most every night. You’re burning bright. The lights are the lights, and you’re feeling fine- you look nice. “I want to be with you,” I wanted to tell you. The water in Venice is more green than they tell you. Hold on, I hear a dog outside barking. You said your friend was missing her puppy. A strong heart never sleeps. A strong mind does not need to dream. These are the lies that we keep inside. Let’s do that some other time.
9. There are ghost on margins that was our motto. I carried you home to slice an avocado. These are the best days of our lives. These are the days that will last forever. These are the days that never die. My favorite part in pulling back the bow is to hear the string snap as I let go. “Death waits,” she says, “but why wait for him?” My heart goes out when the lamps grow dim. I can hear that sorrow train and the grinding of its gears; you know it makes me recall more than I have in years. “Won’t you come over for my one am cooking. I swear I wouldn’t ask, but you’re so damn good looking.”
10. When I’m thirsty, I will drink not water, wine, or coffee. When I’m thirsty, I will drink straight from the maker’s. I’ll eat when I’m hungry. I’ll drink when I dry. God bless pretty women, I wish they was mine. At breakfast, sweet as honey pie. Their wishes are worth all of mine. Moonshiner, will you help me sing? Moonshiner, will you help me sleep?